If you’re anything like me, you probably take a ton of photos while on vacation — especially for stunning destinations like Hawaii.
Deciding which photos to post on Instagram is enough work in itself, so let me help you with your Hawaii captions.
Broken down into helpful sections, this post has over 100 delightful, audience-pleasing Hawaii captions for Instagram.
Hawaii captions for Instagram
You can’t go wrong with these classic Hawaii captions. Keep ’em short and sweet and let your reels and photos of the beautiful Hawaiian islands do all the talking instead.
1. Gone to Hawaii. Be back never.
2. On island time.
3. No rain, no rainbows.
4. Peace. Love. Aloha.
5. Hawaii is calling and I must go. – This one is great for a mini vlog about packing and the long flight!
6. A pineapple a day keeps the doctor away.
7. But first, shave ice.
8. A shave ice a day keeps the worries away. – How about a reel or IG carousel about the best shave ice spots you tried?
9. Today’s itinerary: 🩴👙🧉🤿⛵️🏖🏄♀️🌊 – This one would be perfect for a reel about things to do or a mini vlog about your day while on vacation in Hawaii.
10. Somewhere over the rainbow.
11. Coconut? You mean drink holder!
12. The one where they went to [insert name of Hawaiian island].
13. Pineapple princess.
14. Alexa, play Lost in Paradise.
15. Tiny bubbles. 🎶🥂🍾 – Don Ho
16. Hawaii is a paradise born of fire. – Rand McNally
17. Hawaii: where it really is all rainbows & sunshine.
18. The floor is lava.
19. Volcanoes. So hot right now.
NOTE: If any of the volcanos are active and displacing people from their homes, it’s not the time to make a joke like the 2 captions above. You might be on vacation or like to use humor to deal with things, but it’s just insensitive. Save it for another time when no one’s worried about losing their home or life!
20. If you like piña coladas and gettin’ caught in the rain…
21. Tonight’s agenda: luaus & mai tais.
22. Let’s get salty.
23. Be a pineapple: stand tall, wear a crown, and be sweet on the inside.
24. Island mode: activated.
25. A bad day in Hawaii is better than a good day anywhere else.
26. I got 99 problems, but this island ain’t one.
27. Sunny days and starry nights. – A timelapse reel or video of day to night would be perfect for this one!
28. 🌴🌺🍍🥥🍧🌞🌈🐠🤙 – Let the photo or reel do the talking & add your fave tropical emojis instead.
Surfing quotes and Instagram captions
Did you even visit Hawaii if you didn’t attempt to surf or at least watch surfers at the beach?
Pair these surfing quotes and Instagram captions with photos of your surf experience.
29. Surf’s up!
30. Ride the wave.
31. Catch the wave.
32. Catch a wave and you’re sittin’ on top of the world. – Catch a Wave, The Beach Boys
33. Peace. Love. Surfing.
34. ☮️ 💖 🏄♂️
35. Waves for days.
36. Life is swell.
37. Waves & Rays.
38. Dawn patrol.
39. Hang loose.
40. Off the hook.
41. You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. – Jon Kabat-zan
42. We surf at dawn.
43. Wipe out!
44. Pray for surf.
46. Off to hula, hula land. – A fun Hawaiian twist on lyrics from Metallica’s Enter Sandman.
Hawaiian sayings & local slang
Did you know that the Hawaiian language was once banned from schools? It goes all the way back to the early days of statehood.
That’s right – not only was the monarch overthrown and its land stolen, but the US tried to kill their culture, too.
It wasn’t until the 80s that it started to be integrated back into schools of all ages, from preschool to higher education.
Pay your respects to native Hawaiians by using their beautiful language and local slang that has developed over the years to caption your Instagram photos and reels.
47. Aloha – This can be used for Hello, Goodbye, and I love you!
48. Mahalo. – Thank you.
49. A hui hou. – Until we meet again.
50. Mele Kalikimaka – Merry Christmas.
51. E hele kāua – Let’s party!
52. Ke kali nei au – Waiting here for you.
53. ‘Imi ola – Seek life.
54. ‘Ohana – Hawaiian word for family
Blend English with Hawaiian for even more captions, like below:
55. Aloha from [insert name of Hawaiian island].
56. Aloha state of mind.
57. All you need is ‘ohana.
58. Hale sweet hale. – Hale is the Hawaiian word for home.
59. Keiki on board. – Keiki means little one(s) or child(ren).
60. Live. Laugh. Aloha. – Just try not to be corny or Karen-y when using this one, ok?
61. The future is wahine. – Wahine means woman or female.
62. Howzit? – This popular slang means What’s up? or How are you?.
63. Ono grindz – This Hawaiian pidgin phrase means delicious food – of which you will find plenty during your visit!
Are you planning to visit more than one island in Hawaii? Be sure to check out my post about island hopping in Hawaii!
Hawaii captions for couples
If you’re in Hawaii for your honeymoon, destination wedding, or a couples trip, these cutesy captions for couples are perfect for you.
64. Two less fish in the sea. – This cutesy caption would be perfect for the newly engaged or married!
65. I think you’re swell.
66. This is the moment of sweet aloha. – Elvis
68. I lava you.
69. Just Maui’d.
70. Mermaid for each other.
71. I’m coco-nuts about you.
72. Lava’s all you need.
73. I keep on waterfallin’ in love with you.
74. It’s always sunshine and rainbows with you.
75. You’re the pineapple of my eye.
76. The pineapple to my coconut.
77. Paradise found.
Hawaii puns for cute captions
I love a good pun – especially for a quick and easy Instagram caption. These puns are all fun crowd-pleasers for your Insta-audience.
78. Lei-ing low.
79. Lei’d back.
80. Just lei-ing around.
81. I got lei’d on [insert name of Hawaiian island].
82. Oh poi!
83. Shaka your groove thing.
84. Gone cocoNUTS.
85. Let’s get coconutty.
86. Feelin’ un loco moco.
87. You drive me loco moco
88. Beach baes.
89. Happy Hulaween
90. Girls are made with sugar & shave ice and everything nice. – I love this for girls’ trips!
Before you visit, check out my tips on how to have the best Hawaii vacation ever.
The best Hawaii quotes
If you’re not sure what to post, how about sharing the words of others? These quotes are perfect for pairing with your photos on Instagram.
May there always be tradewinds behind you, rainbows above you, and aloha all around you.Hawaiian saying
92. Aloha is the unconditional desire to promote the true good of other people in a friendly spirit out of a sense of kinship. – Reverend Dr. Abraham Akaka
93. The beauty of Hawaii probably surpasses other places. I like the Big Island and the 2 mountains, Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea, where you can look out at the stars. – Astronaut Buzz Aldrin
94. In Hawaii we have something called Ho’oponopono, where people come together to resolve crises and restore peace and balance. – Duane Chapman
95. Being in Hawaii, it’s almost impossible not to be fit, I think. – Henry Ian Cusick
96. Hawaii can be heaven and it can be hell. – Jeff Goldblum
97. For me, the magic of Hawaii comes from the stillness, the sea, the stars. – Joanne Harris
98. I believe Hawaii is the most precious jewel in the world. – Don Ho
99. The hula is the heartbeat of the Hawaiian people. – David Kalakaua
100. Hawaii is so boring because it’s always sunny. – Daniel Dae Kim
101. The Hawaiian people have been from time immemorial lovers of poetry and music, and have been apt in improvising historic poems, songs of love, and chants of worship, so that praises of the living or wails over the dead were with them but the natural expression of their feelings. – Queen Lili’uokalani
102. Hawaii is the island of big dreams for both islanders and guests. Those dreams born in paradise can indeed come true. – Sharon Linnea
103. Hawaii is paradise. It sounds cheesy to say it, but there’s music in the air there. – Bruno Mars
104. The history of Hawaii may be seen as a story of arrivals. – Susanna Moore
105. No one has family in Hawaii. Everyone is family in Hawaii. – Richie Norton
106. Coming to Hawaii is like going from black and white to color. – John Richard Stephens
107. ‘Ohana means family. Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten. – Stitch, Lilo & Stitch
108. Hawaii is still the single most frequent fantasy destination, not because of political stability or conveniences, but because Hawaii seduces the imagination. It’s the perfect postcard, no props, no fillers. – Robert Wintner
Captions for when you’re missing Hawaii
Last but not least, when your trip is long gone and you’re missing Hawaii, post a throwback with one of these thoughtful captions.
109. I left my heart in [insert name of Hawaiian island]. – I love the trend of photo dumps set to fast paced music. This would be a great caption to pair with photos of your Hawaiian vacation.
110. Dreaming of [insert your favorite Hawaiian snack]. – Perfect for compilation reel of your fave!
111. Alexa, bring me back to Hawaii.
112. [Throwback Thursday/Flashback Friday] to when I was living the Aloha life.
Which Hawaii captions did you use for your Instagram photos?
For more Hawaii travel tips and Instagram caption ideas for your Hawaii photos and videos, check out these posts:
Also, if you’ll be staying at Aulani, a Disney Resort in Ko Olina, Oahu, check out the post 150+ Perfect Disney Captions for Instagram from my Disney site, The Park Pixie!
This post was originally published June 12, 2021. It was last updated November 6, 2022.