Plenty of people travel to Austin to see live music, but in the past few years, Austin has become quite the foodie scene, as well.
I’m definitely up for heading to Austin for a weekend full of gluttony. How about you??
After working up an appetite taking in the best activities in ATX, here’s where to eat in Austin – and drink too!
BBQ in Austin
If I left BBQ off my list of where to eat in Austin, there’s no way I’d ever be taken seriously. BBQ in Texas is a MUST!
My top 3 picks for BBQ in Austin:
- Franklin Barbecue: If anyone ever says the wait isn’t worth it, don’t trust their opinion on anything. Seriously though, this BBQ mainstay in Austin is delicious and WELL worth the wait.
- Slab: Slab’s website URL says it all: realdopeBBQ.com.
- Freedman’s: BBQ with a side of whiskey to wash it down.
Bars in Austin
There’s certainly no shortage of top notch bars or lounges in Austin, which made it hard to narrow this list down to just 3.
Here are 3 fun bars in Austin for good drinks, tasty craft beer and chill vibes.
- Whisler’s: Delicious drinks and a tasty Thai-Kun food truck out back.
- Half Step: Not sure what you want to drink, go for the Bartender’s Choice. You won’t be disappointed.
- Hops & Grain Brewing: Visit the taproom of this sustainable microbrewery for some delicious, thirst-quenching beer.
- Contigo: Contigo has an impressive bar AND food menu. Not many places get both right!
Brunch in Austin
Breakfast foods are one of my favorites, so naturally, I had to offer up some great brunch options for my top picks on where to eat in Austin. My four favorites for brunch in Austin are:
- Sway: I’ll take the Thai Basil Waffle + Chicken, please!
- Hillside Farmacy: The Wasabi Bloody Mary is a must.
- The Magnolia Cafe: Serving breakfast all day, every day. Truly, my dream come true!
- Odd Duck: Fresh, innovative brunch options with draft beer and creative cocktails.
Coffee in Austin
Sure, you could hit up the nearest Starbucks, but why not support a local coffee shop instead? My three favorite coffee shops in Austin are:
- Buzz Mill: Espresso whiskey, anyone?
- Houndstooth: Serving up coffee, beer AND wine. Also known as your new hangout spot.
- Jo’s Coffee: Be sure to get a breakfast taco with your cup of joe.
Sweets in Austin
I’ve got quite the sweet tooth, so I can’t help but list four of my favorite places to pick up something sweet.
- Churro Co.: If you’re in Texas, you have to have churros at least once.
- Lick Honest Ice Creams: I’ll take a scoop of Sweet Lemon, Gin & Juniper, please. It’s like a Gin + Tonic on an ice cream cone!
- Gordough’s: The only places where Blue Balls are a good thing.
- Bribery Bakery: Cookies, cake, and pastries, oh my!
Mexican Food in Austin
Mexican is another genre of food that Texas gets right. And no y’all, Taco Bell does not count as Mexican. My top picks for Mexican food in Austin are:
- Chi’lantro: Mexican-Korean fusion, because why not?
- mi Madre’s: Because homestyle cooking is THE BEST.
- Torchy’s Tacos: Mini chain with tacos for any time of the day (even breakfast!) and classic Mexican sides.
Still hungry? Austin has no shortage of delicious restaurants and cafes. Here’s a few bonus picks on where to eat in Austin:
- Hopdoddy Burger Bar: If you go here for a salad, you’re doing it wrong.
- Salt & Time: Farm-to-table style with a rotating menu.
- Lucy’s: Because fried chicken feeds the soul.